Saturday, October 16, 2010

A New Creation Story: Beyond Religion and Science


I think religion will be replaced by some new discipline. Some combination of psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy. I have no idea what that new thing will be but I think a good starting point would be the values of the Enlightenment. And one of those values is to do away with the "us vs. them" mentality. Just because I think religion is wrong doesn't mean it has to consist completely of charlatans and gullible fools.



And I can tell you from experience it doesn't. I've worked with people in the social justice community, e.g. a group calld CISPES who were devout roman catholics and those people were some of the most selfless dedicated people I've known. Their commitment amazed me.



I've also worked in the mental health field and seen the incredible effect that faith can have in helping people overcome addiction.



On a more personal level one of my girlfriends was severely abused as a child. The only way she could cope with life was through her faith and it always impressed me the way the people from her evangelical church would be there to support her at any time of the day or night.



So, no, as much as I think religion is wrong and will eventually be replaced I don't think its just about selfish people trying to gain power. Its unfortunate that those selfish people get so much attention these days.
About Religion and Science
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment