Monday, February 21, 2011

How Doctors <em>Should</em> Deliver Bad News


I'm not sure if you consider me to be one of the "doctor bashers" (see my example below). I'm just telling a true story about how a doctor's lack of empathy made a bad experience a million times worse. I don't consider that to be doctor bashing. I hope that just maybe some doctors might read these examples and understand that whatever you are doing as a profession to deal with these situations in a lot of cases its just not working. That's not bashing IMO. You can't fix something until you understand that its broken.



However, I do agree with you about insurance companies. The whole for profit healthcare system we have in the US is I think very much an essential cause of this (and many other problems). Doctors are under increasing pressure to see as many patients in as short a period of time. It inevitably makes them less able to show empathy, even when its needed most.
About Death
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment